Dogs – what’s not to love! They truly are a man’s best friend. In my opinion, they make the best companions, and I’m sure that any dog owner would agree. Loyalty, intelligence, personality, cuteness overload, well, need I say more! And while it’s safe to say that these reasons, and many more, make loving the canine so natural, there are also many facts about dogs that make them very interesting.
Most of us already know that the Labrador Retriever is one of the most popular breeds of dogs, and that dogs descend from the wolf, but there are other fascinating facts about these great animals that might not be known by some (me), so I thought I would take the time to share.
- While all dogs run, some faster than others, the Greyhound comes in first at speeds of up to 44 mph. Wow!
- Did you know that like human’s fingerprints, dogs have their own set of unique prints – their noses? That’s correct! No two dogs have the same nose. So cool!
- Much to my surprise, dogs can not only see in black and white, but in shades of yellow and blue, too!
- You’ve probably heard that petting a dog can help lower blood pressure, but it also releases the hormone oxytocin, in you and the pup! FYI, oxytocin gives you that ‘good’ feeling.
- Dogs sweat through their paw pads and noses, that’s it!
- Awww, those contagious yawns. Believe it or not, the sound of yawning can cause your pup to yawn, too! Who knew?
- Dogs curl up when sleeping because it’s cozy, at least you would think. They are actually protecting their organs from predators. Just an instinct they carry from living in the wild, long ago.
- Man, dogs smell! With as many as 300 million smell receptors, I’d say so. Humans only have about 5 million.
There are many facts about dogs, so feel free, do your research, but the most well-known fact of all is that all dogs poop! When they do, Scoopy Doo’s of Longmont is there to clean it up. Thorough, courteous, friendly, and affordable – that’s what you’ll get when you call the professional poop scoopers at Scoopy Doo’s. Call today and take a load off!