If you own a dog, chances are you’ve witnessed the horrific sight of him eating poop. It’s bad enough that we must see our pups lick their bottoms, but poop eating – well, that just crosses the line! Although this phenomenon can be disturbing, especially to us humans, there are reasons that canines might want to feast on feces, and believe it or not, there is a scientific name for it!
Coprophagia (kop-ruh-fey-jee-uh) means to consume feces. You might be wondering who came up with this scientific term, at least I know I did! Anyway, it’s common in dogs and other animal species, and according to The American Kennel Club, it’s normal for dogs and pups to eat poop at various stages of their lives. From cat crap and goose droppings, to eating their own waste, some dogs like poop, and if your four-legged friend is one of those, here are a few things to consider…
- Puppies are more likely to eat poop, because they’re puppies.
- Multi-animal households tend to see the habit more than that of single animal homes.
- In adult dogs, environment stresses or underlying health issues could be the cause of their need to eat poop.
- Female fur friends tend to enjoy poop more than their male counterparts.
- Apparently, dogs seem to enjoy only the ‘fresh’ stuff.
- A dog that eats its own droppings is okay, but it’s not healthy for it to eat another animal’s dung.
While this behavior is normal, especially in puppies, it’s always a good idea to try and break the habit. Providing your canine with dietary supplements and keeping your pup’s environment free of feces is a great start. If the habit becomes persistent, talk to your vet and have your doggie’s health checked, just to be safe.
Scoopy Doo’s of Longmont cares about your pup and the environment it lives in. If you need help with dog waste removal, we are a professional pooper scooper providing residential, commercial, and HOA dog poop removal services in Longmont, Boulder, Niwot, and throughout the neighboring communities. Give the experienced team at Scoopy Doo’s a call today. We do the dirty work so you don’t have to!